As I write this morning the sky is blue with not a cloud in sight and the sun is out in full. A brief taste I fear of finer weather coming and thoughts of adventures outdoors. Lighter colourful foods.
I wonder how cute you were just before Easter with bargains galore. My friend text me “what has six legs and is on a bike?” The reply “Me with Legs of Lamb at £4.49 per kilo – they were bound for the freezer and one roasted instantly – It was delicious. Then another one – Whole Salmon at £5.50 a kilo – Filleted by the store and then trimmed and tidied up. Mine was turned in Salmon en Croute with Smoked Salmon and Wilted Spinach wrapped in Puff Pastry and served with a Watercress Hollandaise. Trimmings for the freezer – a Fish Pie maybe or a Pasta and Cream Sauce later.
We also had a collation of Fresh Asparagus, Kenya Beans and Cauliflower Florets. Simple for the Salmon dish. Then two days later leftovers enveloped in a Mustard and Cheese Sauce topped with a little more Cheese and baked in the oven till golden ‘au gratin’
Served with a nicely Roasted Chicken, Roasted Potatoes, Roasted Carrots and Roasted Onions.
Just the right thing for a very wet Easter Monday.
The Asparagus season is creeping in and a joy to prepare either simply steamed or boiled with Mayonnaise or Hollandaise Sauce – why not add a Poached Egg. Have it on its’ own or as a side dish to Fish or simple Grills. You can make Quiche too. This month here’s a simple idea.
1 Packet of Ready Rolled Puff Pastry
110g Crème Fraiche
1 lge spoon of Grain Mustard
Asparagus Spears – trimmed and blanched
Toppings – see below
- Roll out the Pastry onto a Baking Sheets lined with parchment
- Score a line around the edge about ½ inch in – do not cut through the Pastry Prick the inside space with a fork.
- Mix together the Crème Fraiche and Mustard. (Add some Grated Cheese if you like)
- Spread over the inner surface of the Pastry not going over the scored edge
- Lay the Asparagus over. Egg wash the frame edge.
- Bake in a hot oven for about 20 mins.
- At this stage you could add some Parma Ham on top and return the to the Oven till crisp.
- Or top with Rocket – Shaved Parmesn – Grated Parmesan – Crumbled Blue Cheese –
How simple is that?