Foods served do not have to be complicated in fact mid week simplicity is often the best.
Often a slow cooked pot in the oven or simmered on the top of the stove can provide a warming and nutritious idea. In addition there are the combination of convenience foods or using up left overs as written before.
One thing I do like doing is what I call ‘one pot cooking’. A dish complete in one container in which it is cooked and served from. I thought of this recipe a combination of one pot and left overs.
200g White Rice – boiled and cooked
400g Turkey Meat – cooked and chopped (you could use chicken)
285g Frozen Broccoli – thawed
200g Cheddar – grated
170g Whole Wheat Crackers (Jacobs Cream Crackers will do) – crushed
85g Butter – melted[/one_half]
- Combine together the Cooked Rice, Cooked Turkey, Broccoli and Cheese.
- Place in an ovenproof dish.
- Mix together the melted butter and crushed crackers
- Spread over the mixture in the oven proof dish
- Bake in a pre-heated oven 175C – 350F – Gas 3, for 20 – 30 mins until crackers are crispy.
Serve with a crunchy winter salad. Maybe grated carrot, white cabbage, celery and shredded